When looking for a legal firm/attorney, you should have a clear idea of just what are your requirements. Here are some recommendations:
- Complete all annual filings with the state corporation commission (corps – LLCs)
- Act as the company’s registered agent
- Review by laws, articles of incorporation or articles of organization
- Review contracts to ensure compliance
- Review employment contracts for employees
- Review employee handbook
- Meet regularly to discuss overall legal “health” of the business
- Assists in developing a practical business plan
- Serve as a member of the company’s management team
- Represent the company in any legal procedures
- Appropriate technical expertise on all legal aspects affecting the business
- An understanding of the needs of the business and a commitment to advise what needs to be done
Recognize that the activities, level of involvement that are required necessitate a substantial professional commitment on the part of the legal firm/attorney. Understand that these services are not available at “bargain” prices; but be certain that the benefits receded are at least equal to or greater than the cost.
Obtain the names and phone numbers of at least these companies that are current clients.